Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The Ones that Got Away (+ a time-sensitive tip on amazing fringe boots ending < 20 hrs at the end!)

9:30 pm *post update* the fringe boots listing (see end of post) ends in 30 minutes @10 PM EST !
_____

Regulars know how much I adore Vintage-shopping on Ebay.

#1: it's one of a kind. any similar ones may be at the bottom of a dumpster or stuffed in some old nanny's closet.

#2: if it can hold up that long, it must be pretty decent quality.

#3: it is ideally good for the environment. [rather than production production production -- carbon footprint, etc etc-- the idea is that you're buying things that have already been around for a decade or more so less energy is spent in making new things]

#4: if you buy vintage leather goods, it's a great great alternative to fueling the problematic and needlessly cruel leather industry (please welcome knowledge! see this here)

BUT...just as #1 can be a fantastic thing, it can also be a terrible thing! If you miss out on a one-of-a-kind item, it's OVER! Girls like to mourn over boys. I think boys are complicated and not worth mourning over and I would rather mourn over The Ones That Got Away...and by that I mean fabulous fabulous one-of-a-kind vintage items.

It's just, sometimes a piece really resonates with you, you know? Like you feel like it kind of represents you in a way. Kind of like part of your identity. Like if someone were to think of you, you'd want them to think of you in that outfit. A certain style of shoes or pants can really just vibe with you and represent your personality or your taste to an ace.


Wow, now I'm sounding like a hybrid of new-agey materialism. It's just that I have thought and discussed about this before with other people and I think it's really important when we think what is probably one of the core reasons of why people shop.

It's just like if you have a favorite book or band and you think it represents you really well- it kind of holds a special place and makes up your individualism and so ends up being part of what makes up or at least supports your identity. Like I love "The Little Prince" and I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou... Your taste is a big part of who you are. I'm sure many can attest to that.

But it's also not like "typecasting"--like if you deem yourself "punk" then you like all "punk" things or if your style is "boho" you don't like all "hippie" things. . . or at least I hope you throw some variety in there or you might just be one of those rare stereotypic stereotypes.

Example: I used to think Sixpence None the Richer was brilliant, but at the same time I thought Ani DiFranco is amazing, and I think Common (Common the hip-hop artist) puts out incredible material. One of the best movies I thought was Bowling for Columbine but at the same time I didn't like Million Dollar Baby or Crash (both Academy Award winners). One of my all-time favorites is Pygmalion, a true classic, I thought its remake My Fair Lady paled in comparison..but then again I really liked District B-13. [look it up-- very different. slightly violent dark french action movie]

In a way most of us are all kind of "eclectic" and that's what makes us feel so individualistic.


Anyway - to get back to where I started - there are some vintage pieces that you see and stick with you for a long time...especially if you failed in procuring them! Which is where this post comes in. I'm introducing you to my past vintage Heartbreakers.

Sometimes I can't afford to procure certain items that really do resonate with me but that's okay since I know there's many copies of them...but Vintage is totally a different story...especially when it's not impossible for me to afford it but I fail in getting it! Of course, part of being a creative and individual dresser is making do with what you have and wearing it in ways that do represent you, but that's a different story.


All these pieces I'm showing I think help define "my style", and would be integral parts in something called "Gloria's Wardrobe"...but alas none of them are actually mine! This list of past vintage heartbreaks will give a window into what I think the perfect examples of my taste and style are. Sometimes I can't really show what are totally "me" and what I would really really would put together if I had the ability to get certain pieces. These are those pieces! Those are the ones you keep thinking about again and again and think, "Why Didn't I get those?!" and keep doing frantic ebay searches every once in a while cause they haunt you so.



It's hard to know what you can't have, whether it be world peace
or the perfect boots you missed out on.




Vintage Heartbreakers- all courtesy of Ebay


Heartbreak #1: One of the Original Covets of Mine... Vintage FrontFlap I. Magnins

...a classic case of missing the end of auction time. And they ended up selling for $10! [groan] I actually posted this beautiful alternative a while back in The Beef W/ Leather Post. Simple yet unique.




Heartbreak #2: Next Came- The Perfect Vintage School Blazer...

...ended up being too $$$ for me...~$170...of course it was being sold by Nasty Gal Vintage which had a lot of fans so I did expect the bid to go that high... (sigh). I have yet to find one as perfect as this. Do you see the fit? It's fantastic.




Heartbreak #3: ...and Then I missed the auction on The Best Vintage Floral Minidress in the World...which ended up selling for $35.


...And THEN...it Popped Back on Ebay...but THIS time, it was all the way in AUSTRALIA...

...And Of Course I got Outbid because I did not think I could afford it due to it's rising bid price and extravagant shipping cost. [silent screaming] I mourn for this dress often. This is one of the Most Perfect Florals I've ever seen...



Heartbreak #3 1/2: The Best Vintage Tutu In the World...

...which in the end I didn't bid on since I need to save money and I convinced myself it was an impractical whimsy. [proof I am My Own Worst Enemy]


Heartbreak #4: The Most Yummy Banana Colored Boots...

Actually it was not really my fault that I couldn't have these.. I was so IN LOVE with these- but they were not my size! They were 2 sizes too large! But I still think they're gorgeous to look at...and wish I could have it in size 8.5...too bad the seller didn't list a brand name...but then again it probably wouldn't matter since it's VINTAGE, aka won't find it ever again. (Vintage is a curse and a blessing. If you get it, it's a blessing. If you don't-- it's a curse.)




Heartbreak #5: I think this is what is causing Global Warming...

...actually, I did bid on this...but OF COURSE, the reserve price was actually like $220...(I only know because I asked later on). Did I mention it's vintage Thierry Mugler? It's so bright and covetable-looking...



Now...My Latest and Greatest MAJOR Heartbreak:

The Most Marvelous One-of-a-Kind Vintage Rosy-Mauve-Taupe Boots with Tiny Gold Buttons...


...This happened just YESTERDAY. [Hence, fueling this intense post] I was fuming inside when I realized I missed the auction time. Like when I went to check the webpage and I found out I missed it, my face was expressionless. Like real, inner fury. No emotion.

What happened was I reluctantly agreed to go to grab a bite to grab a bite at McDonalds (of all things!) with someone in my lab after work but I did it anyway, and when I came back, I realized I missed the end of the auction by 15 MINUTES. McDonalds! Never Again! McDonalds!!

It also did not help that it was ending 3 hours earlier than I originally thought it would. [It's hard to do math & calculate time differences at 2 in the morning the night before when you have a physics exam the next day]




Something Entertaining: My college friends and I have a mass email thing going
on to each other this summer and after I missed out on these I sent them all my
daily email. In it I explained what happened and at the end I wrote this:
"can someone please tell me : "Everything will be fine" "You'll find another one" "There are more fish out in the sea"
To which I would respond: "No it's not! I won't find another one! That was THE ONEEEEEEE."
... for me, missing out on a one-of-a-kind object is kind of like not being able to have the boy of your affections!"

I ache over all of them, but this was the latest heartache. It's really really hard to find good vintage boots. Especially banana and perfect rosy-mauve-taupe colored ones. (wikipedia shows examples of rose-taupe & mauve-taupe color)

screenshot via Wikipedia:

The Goodie Part

You didn't think I would leave this on a sad note after I've shown you all of those past heartbreakers, would you? There's a light at the end of the tunnel...although unfortunately not for me.

I have found the latest and greatest potential heartbreaker. bad for me, maybe not for you! I know it will be a heartbreaker for me because it is not in my size. alas! I think this vintage catch is one of the cutest boots I've seen in a while. And I don't think I'd be long and leggy enough to pull it off in any case.

Anyway, maybe one of you size 5-6 girls feel like this boot needs to be a part of your life? Better hurry then...it ends in 20 hours! Link is Here. Seller is funkinjunkievintage.

(I did ask the seller who said it's an approximate 5-6 US Womans...the measurements make it look more like a 7-7.5...but *shrug*)



Specific Measurements-

Estimated Size: Length: 9"Width: 3"Heel: 2.5"Height: 8.5"Calf/Ankle Width: 8"


76 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a vintage shopper so I cannot relate on the vintage level, but there have been a few designer items that I've lusted after and then later found on ebay but were alas, still too expensive! ugh. =/ So, I do feel your pain. Those rose mauve or taupe rose or rosey taupey mauvey (haha) boots are lovely! I would feel sad as well. And I agree with you. I feel much more pain over the thing that got away rather than a boy that got away. =/ I'd rather have 6 inch taupe marnis than a 6 foot boy. LOL.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Dana (MODAna) said...

Oh I know these heartbreaks all too well!!
but twice in the past I've been able to find these later on, and bought them and they ended up fitting horribly and I had to resell (vtg Ralph Lauren blazer and a Marc Jacobs bag)
So maybe the fashion Gods are in disguise protecting us?

8:58 PM  
Blogger Pamela Tan said...

ooow.. sorry to hear about ur "heartbreak's!" hehe.. ive yet to learn about ebay.. wud u believe i dont have an account yet! :) hehe :)

but those boots are lovely :)

10:14 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

omg ur post reminds me of this dress i missed out on on ebay!
=( i still think fondly of from time to time. u kno... how cute it would have been and how i would have worn it lol.
and i totally remember that blazer on nasty gal haha.

10:56 PM  
Blogger A La Femme said...

I love shopping vintage. It can be heartbreaking to know that something thats mostly impossible to get, gets away. But the best thing is that you always find something much better.

P.S. Thank you so much for the kind comments!!

11:53 PM  
Blogger Sharon S said...

Hi there-I'm such a fan of vintage, so I know where you're coming from!! The Thierry Mugler suit, the 1st shoes and the floral dress are all gorgeous-such a shame to have missed out:-(

12:18 AM  
Blogger Style On Track said...

This is such a great article, I think that every vintage lover or ebay shopper should definitley read this. It tells of the bad times and the AMAZING rewards you can find with vinatge shopping, I'm definitley going to forward this to a couple of my friends that will love this :)

12:23 AM  
Blogger Lina Ghayor said...

I love this boots

12:53 AM  
Blogger ..... said...

vintage is so trendy yeah ! i love it

1:22 AM  
Blogger loveology said...

YEAH! I love this post/article! ;)

I really feel for you, because it happens to me all the time i miss out on great vintage pieces, or the prices just go up so horribly high, i decide i can't afford it (since i am still a student).

Those taupe boots are amazing, as are all the other things (the blazer an the flowerdress!!!!!).

You'll definitely fins other beauties, girl!
I'll keep my eyes open for you (you're a 8,5 huh?)

Have a great day dear!!

1:43 AM  
Blogger Andrea Eames said...

Great post! I still remember 'the ones that got away' ... sigh. Red-dress-I-found-in-Queensland-that-I-didn't-have-enough-money-for, I miss you!

2:37 AM  
Blogger young-shields said...

wow, i genuinely felt sad reading this, i liked how you had the little uplifting 'spread the find' moment at the end. anyway, fantastic post

young-shields x

2:38 AM  
Blogger Darling Deer said...

i feel your pain.i hate being outbidded.the floral mini dress is divinexxx

3:00 AM  
Blogger pinup_girl said...

Aw that's too bad because those are all really lovely pieces. Loved the blazer & floral dress, but I'm sure it won't be hard to find something similair elsewhere, right?

3:45 AM  
Blogger ALISON said...

o m g, i love like evry single thing in this post. especially the fringe shoes, don't know if i'de ever have the guts to wear them. but they would really pretty in my wardrobe. www.thedailyalygator.blogspot.com

4:06 AM  
Blogger Merily said...

Oh, I totally understand you!

4:39 AM  
Blogger Ashleigh said...

ok so the tutu and the fringe booties take the cake...!! That blazer sold for a ridiculous price! I foud a very similar one at Value Villiage in the little boys section for $5 !!

6:03 AM  
Blogger Life's a Wardrobe said...

The mini dress is lovely but I'm sure you will find another one =)

8:06 AM  
Blogger the.ramonas said...

wow! it's amazing what you can find around the ebay stores... we even have a vintage store ourselves :) its called "Little Ramonas" and our username is "the.ramonas" make sure you stay tuned for all the amazing vintage about to come....

ps- thanks for the lovely comment on our blog!

Love,
the.ramonas

8:30 AM  
Blogger FASHION CHALET said...

I love all of it. I hate when bidding wars end and I lose. :(

I chose Erin Wasson for my collage, because I have always loved her. Collaborating with Alexander Wang helps, but I have loved her since her eye wear ads for Gucci. <3 Impeccable!

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no that sounds horrible :( i hate losing out on things on ebay

10:20 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I only thrift at local stores and never darn think of purchasing anything from Nasty Gal.

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh this happens to me a lot! And i always curse because the winning price is either a dollar over what I bid or the ending price is insanely cheap! Although I do admit I might have caused a few heartbreaks with my last minute bidding so I guess it's karma all round!

The Thierry Mugler is/was stunning!

6:16 PM  
Blogger Toni Alexis said...

oh my! you found some great items! those fringe boots are too cute. i really like your blog. would love to link! oh and thanks for visiting mine :)

xoxo

6:47 PM  
Blogger Toni Alexis said...

oh and i agree with wendy ..you can scour a thrift store yourself. some of these ebay stores are making a profit on vintage items that are at your local store!

xoxo

6:49 PM  
Blogger Gloria said...

wendy, toni alexis--- I also completely agree... in some extent! Personally, nasty gal is wayyy too expensive. It might be worth it sometimes, but other times not so much. Plus they now don't even have an ebay storefront and sell things at certain prices.

The only problem w/ local thrift stores is that...there aren't very many good ones around where I am that are good, they're very time-consuming, and it's really hit or miss. One time I spent 2 hours in salvation army and walked out with only a belt...and that I only bought cause I felt bad I spent so long in there!

7:03 PM  
Blogger Sienna said...

cute CUTE blazer!! love the last boots too!

7:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love your blog! WOW~

7:26 PM  
Blogger KATLIN said...

Oooh I feel your pain my dear! I always lose to those sneaky people that bid at the very last seconds and out do me! I stayed up till like 5 in the morning yesterday to stalk an adorable black romper and bid at my max, but was willing to go higher if someone out bid me, and they freaking did right as it was over! Suckerr!! Try etsy.com for vintage stuff, they tend to run way cheaper than ebay and you don't have to worry about people outbidding you or prices getting crazy!

7:58 PM  
Blogger KATLIN said...

Oooh I feel your pain my dear! I always lose to those sneaky people that bid at the very last seconds and out do me! I stayed up till like 5 in the morning yesterday to stalk an adorable black romper and bid at my max, but was willing to go higher if someone out bid me, and they freaking did right as it was over! Suckerr!! Try etsy.com for vintage stuff, they tend to run way cheaper than ebay and you don't have to worry about people outbidding you or prices getting crazy!

7:59 PM  
Blogger Annie Spandex said...

OMG that navy blazer and those fringe boots! <3<3<3 And don't even get me started on eBay! :D

8:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i am so sorry your heart got broken so many times in such a small amount of time!

i love that last pair of boots you posted though.
i wish my feet were small enough to fit into them!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Sydneydoll said...

lovely jacket
i just love the tutu.

your display pic is fabulous.
the orange shoes.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

oh my oh my oh my lost last booooots!!

9:01 PM  
Blogger Hanne said...

The blazer and dress was soooo nice... To bad you didn't get them:( Always sad to loose an item on ebay;)

12:28 AM  
Blogger Times of Glory said...

Oh my, they do sound hurt... I don't know why I can never get my luck with eBay... I had a serious fraud seller and then had a vintage sunglasses with a completely wrong description... I really need to be careful, so I stopped.

However, seeing your lucks on eBay looks much brighter! Dear, I really have to say you've got great tastes! Never mind those heartbreaks. Guess what? We will meet more one-of-a-kind before we even notice... and by your great taste, even plain T-shirt will rock on you xxxxxxxx

3:50 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

I loveeeee vintage. You are so right about everything. But I don't like shopping on the internet, I don't know why. The boots are really cute, and if I knew what the Europian size was, maybe I would bid. (I mean hello, they are 3 euro's, hooray for the weak dollar!) Anyways, I feel bad now I saw the greatest floral dress ever made, it's beautiful!

4:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am still new to ebay, and I am collecting some favorite sellers. I sometimes get overwhelmed by how much there is, I just think I need direction to the best stores.

I really like that you can shop online, but it is a disappointment when someone out bids you.

The boots you missed would make me sad too, as they were awesome, but my way of looking at things reassures me, that there is always something better if I don't get it (what ever it is) right now.

Some things are difficult to get past though.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

That blazer is awesome! I love it. Bummer on the heartbreak...

7:50 AM  
Blogger Style Spot said...

Fantastic post! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

And that blazer..words can not describe how much I adore it and how I wish it was in my possession! Ah well..a girl can dream...

xxx

8:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

aww... i miss out on ebay buys all the time.. most start out so affordable.. but then get ridiculous.. those mauve boots...ARE lovely....

9:31 AM  
Blogger Couture Carrie said...

Hey hon - great ebay finds... I especially love that blazer! And the banana boots are delish; they remind me of Loeffler Randall!

So funny what you said about my A to Z; I had already done a draft of my post when I got my issue of Teen Vogue; I had to make sure there was no repetition, and thank goodness there was not!

xoxox,
CC

10:30 AM  
Blogger A BIT COQUETTISH said...

oh my lanta all these heartbreakers look gorg!! mm i haven't been on my vintage shopping spree yet :/ so i guess its a curse.

love your blog!
please visit mine & comment! :)
http://la-couturier.blogspot.com

11:00 AM  
Blogger S (formerly of Modern-Guilt) said...

Awesome and creative post, I really enjoyed it! Great fringe boots, wish they were my size...

Thanks for the lovely comment by the way :)

11:19 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I've never bought, only sold on eBay, so I know nothing of your heartbreak, but I'm aware that losing out can be a huge disappointment. And losing these items must have been. They were all superb.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Joy said...

Oh my goodness! I cannot even begin to describe how much I adore- adore- adorreeed this post! It is such a tragedy that you just missed out on those boots; they are truly so, so beautiful.

I agree with you though with this whole shopping on ebay thing. It's difficult to keep up with ending times and the sort. Not to mention sometimes I can't justify to myself spending a good amount of money on something I haven't gotten to see or try on. But I suppose it's the risk that's fun.

So nice to see that your finds on eBay! I only wish I had as much patience or luck as you. :)

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMIGOD. The last pair of boots were so gorgeous! All those things are indeed covetable. I suddenly feel.. depressed.

-V

11:59 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Also I get so frustrated when you bid on an item with all the hope in the world and turns out other bidders already put a crazy amount of automatic bids on it...

12:48 PM  
Blogger Always In Style said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog -- I love yours btw -- and this is a fab post!

My heart breaks for you with those 2 die 4 rose mauve boots...ugh...I would've never forgiven my friend if that had happened to me. Still, it's a valuable lesson learned - always bid early :-)

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love vintage shopping I'm always so pleased to find that extra special piece that is really unique! I've just discovered your blog, I love it!

Bonne soirée!

Mademoiselle M.

1:54 PM  
Blogger LuLu124 said...

oh wow you seem like such an expert at vintage shopping!!! :D i LOVE all those boots you've posted, and that pink suit was definitely adorable :) thanks for commenting my blog, i hope you don't mind if i add you :D xoxo, lulu

6:03 PM  
Blogger ♥ Marta ♥ said...

I've never gone vintage shopping or shopped on e-bay ... I just don't know what to look for and where to find it :S ... I love all of your choice especially the blazer and the boots. P.S. thank you so much for stopping by my blog :)

2:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow the jacket outfit is definitely what i want to wear this winter

3:57 AM  
Blogger Wuthering said...

i feel your pain!!! & you even brought gifts!

8:39 AM  
Blogger jess said...

That tutu so puffy and shiny! I hope you win those boots. Maybe you could find boots similar to your heartbreak ones adn add studs to them?

9:39 AM  
Blogger glory said...

hi i absolutely love the tutu is so adorable....i`ll link you blog
adios saludos

10:29 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

Oh my goodness! I feel some of those heartbreaks now, just looking at the pictures. Those boots! That blazer! How sad.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Vain and Vapid said...

Now those vintage fringe boots are a major heartbreak for me, they are not at all my size and are so lovely.

1:17 PM  
Blogger TINA said...

I love this post! I absolutely love the school blazer and the yellow boots.
Thanks for visiting my blog! :)

3:27 PM  
Blogger diana said...

loved the dress!
and the yellow boots

besos
di*

6:14 PM  
Blogger soilikethelike said...

my hearts pretty broken just looking at this...i love everything here & am sorry it all got away!

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i feel your pain... that floral dress and yellow boot is quite wonderful and that mauve one too... and possibly the fringe ones...

10:45 PM  
Blogger meliindaa. said...

where do you usually shop on ebay??

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the tutu is to die for! great blog, wanna exchange links?leave me a comment o my blog if so :)x

12:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Aah I know these heartbreaks too. I had seen a really cute dress on Ilovevintage but my mother didn't like it at all. So I waited till I had the money to buy it myself, but then it was sold :(

2:45 PM  
Blogger Danz said...

Wow these are all wonderful items! I often search for vintage clothing but a lot of the stuff I like isn't in my size (clothing and shoes) or too expensive because of the exchange rate. I have been able to find a few things though and I've also lost quite a few bids myself so I know it feels.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Siru said...

I am a wannabe vintage shopper, ebay is most of the time off the limits as I live in europe and they rarely want to send things to the other side of the world.

Juliet xxx

6:24 AM  
Blogger Ida said...

The boots... flawless. Now this IS a heartbreak.

7:50 AM  
Blogger michelle said...

Wow, such an amazing post and fabulous clothes towards the bottom ;) Keep it up! <3

8:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ugh, I totally know that feeling... I've let so many vintage things go on ebay- makes me so mad...!

those boots though- awesome.

12:57 PM  
Blogger TIG said...

These are all such cute finds -- especially the tu-tu, school blazer and those fringy boots! Sorry about the heartbreak :)

2:44 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Heartbreak 2 = perfection. I've been wanting such jacket for ages, but never seem to find the 'right' one.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Diana Coronado said...

I love vintage fashion

1:45 AM  
Blogger Lily said...

You know, Frye makes a pretty close ringer for those yellow boots:
http://www.overstock.com/Clothing/Frye-Womens-Sunny-Tall-Cuff-Boots/3185206/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=11303477

11:08 AM  
Blogger Closet Cupcake said...

wow, those are some beautiful items. you've got a great eye. You could probably make the tutu, but it is lovely.

1:56 AM  
Blogger Caitlin ... said...

That tutu is amazing!!!!

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home